If you’re like me, you probably prefer soap and water for hand-washing, but every now and then need a hand sanitizer instead. I try to avoid using alcohol-based products because they dry my skin so much and often have ingredients with concerning health effects like triclosan, Benzalkonium Chloride and phthalates.
While I try to always have a bar of soap and water in my car for outings with my kids, sometimes it’s just not practical. I often need something easy to use when I’m in a hurry after touching gas station pumps, shopping carts, and credit card machines.
I researched online for a simple recipe that would offer germ protection and also moisturize my skin. I found the recipe below from a blog called All Things Mama.
It literally took me less than 10 minutes to make. It has a pleasant cinnamon and citrus scent and nice moisturizing effects.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this yourself:
- 4 oz of Aloe Vera Gel
- 4 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 Tsp Vitamin E Oil
- 20 drops Thieves essential oil
- Recycled 2 or 4 oz bottles (I reused my travel size aloe bottle for this).
- Combine the Aloe Vera Gel, Vitamin E, and Essential oil drops in a bowl and mix with a whisk until well combined.
- Add 4 Tbsp Water and mix well.
- Fill two 2oz travel bottles (or one 4 oz) – this part was a little tricky. I made a little funnel from a piece of recycled plastic to help spoon mine in.
Just a little drop is all you need. The scent is pleasant and not overpowering like alcohol. And while I probably wouldn’t eat with bare hands until washing with soap and water, this helps me feel like I’ve done something in the interim to protect my family’s immune system while we’re running around in public places.
Let me know if you try it!